Gor? Where are you? Tal? Anyone home?

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Gor? Where are you? Tal? Anyone home?

Postby Tantus » Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:13 am

A couple of friends are opening the ''City of Servitude' next week, a little dystopian town where extramarital sex is against the law! Upon joining, characters roll a dice to decide if they're already married and it just gets stranger from there! Not a sim that's taking itself too seriously, so I'll try some RP there.

Tamar Luminos wrote:No freaking way! LOL Well, I ended up leaving due to a Faction Leader getting all weird and harrassey OOC a couple of weeks ago, so I wasn't too torn up about the sim closing. There's a large bunch of players wandering around in search of a sim now, though- CV had a LOT of players about to be homeless. I've heard a bunch of them are going to Hollow's Edge, though some are checking out Fallout Evolved.

I never really connected with RP outside of Gor, but I get the impression that Urban and Fantasy sims open and close with the same frequency and migrations as BTB sims. Part of the issue is sims are hooked on these themes of 'Conflict RP', it's vastly overrated and just results in drama every time.

On fantasy sims I have nothing to do and get bored with it, but I could appreciate them if they had PvE instances. The potential to walk into a tavern and hear rumours of goblin-bandits outside of town. So four of you head out to investigate, and you're teleported to an instance up in the sky that's exclusive to your party. Now you can rush through it in about 30 minutes of turn-based combat. Or your party can take their time roleplaying their way through the zone, exploring, fighting, resting, and interacting with the NPCs. Through each encounter they decide on the branching storyline(Save the putrid peasants or chase the necromancer before he reaches the crypt!), they roleplay the glory of combat through every dice-roll and extend the instance for the hours they need it.

The potential for roleplaying combat with a party of friends hasn't been realized in SL, as every sim gravitates towards Conflict-RP and all its issues, whilst RP+PvE tend to be a better fit.
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:46 am

Anarch Allegiere wrote:Not in Gor either. ROIAF.

The Brothel in King's Landing could always use more women though, I think, if any of the women need specific RP needs scratched. It's actually a pretty good and underplayed role in my opinion. Potential for politics, spying, etc. Shae's, Chataya's and Ros's are always useful.

I've visted that sim now and then but it doesn't exactly give a "welcome new player!" vibe, sorry to say.
People were inaccessible, both physically hidden away and in terms of the long involved backstories only insiders will understand. Maybe it's better now.. but I'm already too lazy to read so much :P
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Qingwen
SL Name: Akane Nacht

Postby Qingwen » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:55 am

Tantus wrote:The potential for roleplaying combat with a party of friends hasn't been realized in SL, as every sim gravitates towards Conflict-RP and all its issues, whilst RP+PvE tend to be a better fit.

It's been attempted, but didn't last long, in the ones I participated in anyway. My main problem was timezone so I missed a lot of the action. Lack of players seems to generally kill it after a short run. Not sure why... DnD groups seem to have no problem sustaining.
"Who are you people?!" - Patrick Star
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:19 pm

On fantasy sims I have nothing to do and get bored with it, but I could appreciate them if they had PvE instances.

You know, I used to think that too, but in practice, PvE (at least the ones I've experienced in SL) are dreadfully dull and pointless. I've been on two sims that used it extensively (almost exclusively to PvP) and both times it was incredibly predictable, pointless, and occurred in a vacuum, didn't affect anything that came before or after it, so it was a little like sticking an unwanted mini-game in. It's pretty much ruined me for PvE stuff in SL. >.<
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 am

I was at the Hub perusing profiles and found one promoting a new grid solely dedicated to Gor. Built using OPENSim, the builders advertise larger, cheaper, and more stable sims, full sim control, and free content. Check the link below for more information (yes, they welcome everybody, including lifestylers *oh, the horror!*).

Counter Earth Grid

Intrigued and hopeful, I decided to take a look. It was refreshing to visit another virtual world, but there are definitely some kinks to work out. Rendering times were really bad (rezzing my avi for the first time took about 3 minutes; a new sim took about 5). The sim I visited (Port Kar) looked dated and was empty.

So it's definitely an interesting concept. We'll have to see how far it goes.
Purist, not elitist.
eligiblejam
SL Name: Eligiblejam Resident
AkA: Romulus Agrippa

Postby eligiblejam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 am

Qingwen wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:Not in Gor either. ROIAF.

The Brothel in King's Landing could always use more women though, I think, if any of the women need specific RP needs scratched. It's actually a pretty good and underplayed role in my opinion. Potential for politics, spying, etc. Shae's, Chataya's and Ros's are always useful.

I've visted that sim now and then but it doesn't exactly give a "welcome new player!" vibe, sorry to say.
People were inaccessible, both physically hidden away and in terms of the long involved backstories only insiders will understand. Maybe it's better now.. but I'm already too lazy to read so much :P

Hmm ... I wonder if your Black Sails character would have received a warmer welcome. Who wouldn't want a wicked pirate? :lol:
Purist, not elitist.
-Scar-
SL Name: Byron Greenwood
Caste: Black Caste
Role: Master of the Lodge
Home Stone: The Black Lodge

Postby -Scar- » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm enjoying my time in the latest flavour of the month at Jasmine. Pretty easy to get into some semblance of decent roleplay, and the folks there seem fairly reasonable. Any place that will tolerate a Killer like me wandering around can't be all bad. Right?
Scar - Assassin of Gor
Elgin Loring, Feb 24, 2009: Byron is one scary bastard, he unnerves me most when he is making an effort NOT to be scary.
Ceri the Urt
Urtastic!
SL Name: Ceri Kesten
Role: Being totally stinky.

Postby Ceri the Urt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:56 pm

LOL That is where I decided to park my butt. I am not a Huge fan of the build, it feels a little disjointed, and awkward, but it has some really good roleplayers and ooc the people are nice, fun, with low drama.
Don't raise your voice, Improve your Argument.
katieemerald
SL Name: Katie Emerald

Postby katieemerald » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:52 pm

There is a new Gor group in the process of being assembled. We are currently accepting new members in preparation for opening a new sim.

We are called [The Black Pegasus]. We are a Greek Gor Group, living on the Island of Santorini. The military and city both were built by the fires of the Volcano that sits in the center of the Island. Surrounded by water, Black Pegasus has a powerful Navy, and a Marine combat force to match.

For more information please contact me in world (katiee.emerald)
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:12 am

Tamar Luminos wrote:
On fantasy sims I have nothing to do and get bored with it, but I could appreciate them if they had PvE instances.

You know, I used to think that too, but in practice, PvE (at least the ones I've experienced in SL) are dreadfully dull and pointless. I've been on two sims that used it extensively (almost exclusively to PvP) and both times it was incredibly predictable, pointless, and occurred in a vacuum, didn't affect anything that came before or after it, so it was a little like sticking an unwanted mini-game in. It's pretty much ruined me for PvE stuff in SL. >.<

The idea is to pull roleplay away from player-conflict and into PvE character-developing scenarios.

Situation A : Can be summarised as a person rolling dice, roleplays /me attacks the goblin. Rolls dice, /me attacks the goblin. Repeat, repeat, really boring. Which I guess is what you've experienced. The focus is combat and emoting is secondary.

Situation B : Is focusing on the roleplay with some combat thrown in. Just like MMO instancing this sim has multiple quests to choose from, which you can discover through roleplaying in the city. i.e. you hear a village is under siege by goblins, so you gather a party of four, walk out to the portal, which rezzes this instance for you up in the sky. It's exclusively yours for a few hours.

You arrive into this scene of a devastated village, dying and impaled peasants everywhere and the stench of necromancy in the air. Does your party start looting houses, do you have a cleric to cleanse the area, will you spend resources on healing the dying, or end their suffering. Do you chase after the necromancer and his loot, or stay to defend the surviving peasants from reanimated corpses. It's the situation your party enters into, these are the decisions you're facing, you party will roleplay it, debate it, stage by stage, you cast your votes and affect the direction of events. Each decision affects your alignments so you want to quest with those of similar morals, else you enter as a Good character, and could exit on the Evil side, thanks to two crazed barbarians in your party who continually favoured material gain and swung the votes!

So your character comes out feeling miserable, they watched dozens dying whilst your group ran around profiting from the carnage and you were a party to it! Alternatively, it went your way and saved some peasants, gained some loot, unlocked new abilities and gained an ally in the Paladin who consistently had your back(There's someone you will quest with again! But the creeper gnome? no ty). It was a good night of adventuring and roleplay, you stood your moral ground, intense emotes were exchanged and you've unlocked the next quest to the necromancer's crypt too! It's all IC, your character has developed socially, morally, financially and militarily too.

These are elements people pre-define for their characters from Day 1, starting out as already wealthy, veterans, stoutly moral and stick with the friends they already knew from other genres. Their character has never made any difficult decisions, they've roleplayed nothing to reach the status they're trying to express and almost always are failing to impress.

I don't want to extend this post with SL RP grievances, but I will say most people are RP-consumers, like 80% of a sim's population contribute nothing, but react to the roleplay of others. Very few are legitimate RP-instigators. The challenge on sim admins is introducing fresh content frequently enough to keep the population engaged. When there's nothing happening, people resort to what they know best : Isolating themselves indoors to roleplay relationships, marriages and family dramas.

Return to “General RP Discussions”