Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

This forum is for General topics not otherwise covered in other forums.
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Re: Tips for upcoming sims (cause I know they keep coming).

Postby Tantus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:52 am

We've reviewed some sims and their methodologies, so I do appreciate your insights into those places I was never involved.

The only metric to qualify a Political Roleplaying sim is, who moved against the throne. When plots haven't hatched, schemes haven't formed, alliance were never made. When all the players do is sit in their homes roleplaying how powerful and wealthy they are, then it isn't Political Roleplay. It's power masturbation.

Yes, you have a single instance to call on from an Old Gor sim. Where players consented to a sim-wide story arc and allowed for a rebellion in Tarnwald. Being a planned event where the rival characters are roleplayed by the same person, it shares very little with actual conflict roleplaying.

A real treasonous scenario is never played so openly as there would be immediate repercussions. It's also impossible to control the pace as I learned through the IC process of initiating regime change in my own city, where the administrator had moved on my character. I wanted at least another week of development but I had worked certain factions into a frenzy and they responded before time. These are the risks you take when you aren't communicating OOC'ly. I roleplayed, I allowed for random elements to leave my control, when you aren't guiding your peers, it allows for them to take the initiative and they can surprise you too.

I would advice anyone entering SL Roleplaying now to reject Discord (It leads to metagaming). To never become involved with an exclusive RP Partner(It's a step away from profile partnering and levels of IC/OOC crossing). To prioritise roleplaying outside of your friend's list(Otherwise you're in a clique with limited experiences).

It was an attitude of roleplaying with anyone, anywhere, which helped me meet wonderful strangers who really were a blast to write with.

Even non-Gor sims are moving away from extensive sim Lore, because history should be written by player activity. And they are discouraging the cliquey scene who only roleplay indoors among themselves.This came through a notice from a prominent Urban RP city:

Cliques are problems on every sim. Officially, we do not condone RP cliques. If you are part of a clique or even if you don’t think you are, please reach out to other players and try to find a way to bring them into your RP. If you as a player encounter a group being cliquey, please inform the staff, so we can make a dent in this problem.

These forums shouldn't be spammed with redundant beliefs from misguided individuals, it's time to evolve and offer beneficial advice for new players.

Good roleplaying has a cost. That cost is making an effort.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:44 pm

Instance is not synonym of experience. And the "who move against the trone" RP conflicts are more intense and exciting than going to old Gor crap sims and settling trade alliances.
It was actually the RP we had in ORS, Kaelus and some Ar.
In all these sims, players were very active, making alliances and betraying them when it suited their interests.

You mix IC and OOC when you assume you cannot have a real RP conflict in playing with your friends. I explained to you there was really no problem if your friends were capable of separating IC and OOC. It's not because they are your friends that you have to discuss ongoing RP.

If I didn't play a slave with my SL partner, I would have gotten the poor RP usually given to slaves. He made the experience intensive with many unexpected outcomes in our scenes. And every time we tried to interact with people, it was a fail. Most people in SL Gor don't accept that a slave can be an active part of a scene, not just an element in the decor that is available to go fetch your char a drink.

As for Discord, I don't use it (not even sure if it's voice or text). But I don't think it would eventually lead to metagaming. It's not much difficult to not talk about ongoing storylines and RP. Although, I'm not fond of group chats in RP sims. Whatever the place, usually I don't find these chats very interesting and they give the impression the sim is just filled with cliques. But people in SL Gor are mostly into this annoying thing that is called "community". They want, especially in old Gor crap sims, feel at home, with family... I find that utterly ridiculous. My home is when my wifi automatically connects (so, RL) and in SL I have only friends and RP partners.

In most sims where I played, I was part of the sim wide storyline (where there was one) and I had also a storyline with a particular player. Which didn't stop me from inviting others in our scenes when they were occured in the public space.

Maybe do you have friends, Tantus, who don't separate well IC and OOC when they play with you, which gave you this impression that playing with your friends was a problematic issue...
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:22 pm

Sasi wrote:Instance is not synonym of experience. And the "who move against the trone" RP conflicts are more intense and exciting than going to old Gor crap sims and settling trade alliances.
It was actually the RP we had in ORS, Kaelus and some Ar.
In all these sims, players were very active, making alliances and betraying them when it suited their interests.

You really have a gripe with this trade alliance :D

I did the roleplay for a friend, seeing as she helped me out once. So I helped her form this alliance of over a dozen cities. It was responsible for ending Turia's SoS alliance and continued even after I'd left Gor. The alliance met its goals, but it only mattered to me that my friend was happy.

ORS, Kaelus and the Ars however, met none of their goals. Do we really need to repeat this or have you some new information to offer. Had I ever joined these sims, I would now keep those details to myself and pretend I was never there.

Because I advocate for inclusivity and roleplaying with strangers, doesn't mean I'm against my existing friends. I actually had ongoing roleplay with many friends too, but made certain they understood we would not become an item, we would not profile partner, we would not become inseparable. Because I roleplayed with multiple partners and she should too. Not all people are accepting of IC/OOC separation at this level, but I wasn't in SL for a relationship, I roleplayed at different sims without extraneous baggage.

Many are only in the game to find a online partner, which they conveniently call an RP Partner in a Longterm Storyline to make it sound respectable. I don't see that as roleplaying, it's fulfilling other needs. The extended storylines I've roleplayed stretched into years from occasional meetings, that's how I preferred it.

Even those on your favourite RP sim were routinely reminded to cease their discord metagaming, over at ROIAF. One, does lead to the other. As you have this naive and trusting attitude, you believe people are above reproach once they've completed an application form. Unfortunately, the world doesn't work that way.
Sasi
SL Name: Sasi

Postby Sasi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:21 am

Well Tantus, if I have a gripe with that trade alliance, I guess we can say you have a gripe as well against Ar sims, ROIAF and a few other Gor sims which are into political RP...

And as you didn't play in these sims, how do you know they didn't meet their goals...? Because they kept running a lore around which people could link their own stories and own goals...? Just an example. In ORS, when my character FCed the pasha, raising her social position when she was, before, suspected of having killed her previous companion, she met her goal. When a former innkeeper raised his own position and entered into the circle of power, after many schemes, same... Kaelus, a former fighting slave became one of the city magistrates in using my char like a pawn... Guess we can speak of achievement as well. The list of those examples would be too long. Plus my harddrive is dying, I'm trying to keep my posts short enough, I would cry if I crashed again (you know, the blue screen of the death...). Change of SDD is planned soon.

But you don't understand the concept of these sims. They open with a wide sim lore, a background which allows players to join a faction and be part of the whole intrigue. Then, to run their own schemes and set their own goals. It doesn't matter if the sim lore keeps running for months with no winner, no loser. They are the matter that people use to build their own stories and engage with other players in a more creative way than the usual lovey dovey honorable family thing you see everywhere in SL Gor, between 2 raids.
Our sims are not a video game where we absolutely must reach an end.

My attitude is not naive. I'm well aware of the low RP level of most people in SL Gor. But I do my best to engage in RP with people who are able to separate well IC and OOC. These people will often become friends and we will continue to RP together. I don't mix SL partnership with role play. SL partnership is something totally OOC, even if I enjoy rping with my SL partner because he is very creative and I love his writing. But if he played a potter in a sim and my char was a high caste FW, our characters would never FC. My real feelings count for nothing when I play my character. I believe I'm not an exception.

Return to “General RP Discussions”