PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Re: What is Para RP to you.

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:20 pm

Workable para RP doesn't need to be more than 3 lines long. One emotive text, one descriptive text, and one spoken word text. If any of the three aren't applicable, you can drop one and replace it with another. It's a very simple system that people can pick up and learn easily if they're new to the concept/style.

What I can't stand are para RPers who take 10 minutes to post and are convinced that their prose is so great it should be published. That shit gets tired and boring, especially in a busy environment with multiple people involved in the scene. If you take longer than 5 minutes to post (and five is pushing it) you're probably being way too damn wordy.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:51 am

This is why I think sometimes one liners have a place.

"Now the scared feeling was worse. Different. But worse. “The hospital?”

“They called me when they couldn’t get you.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Your mother. You said —“"

-taken from http://hollylisle.com/dialogue-examples/

Note how the short lines let the conversation flow nice, fast, gives an energy to it. Short does not mean BAD.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Saras
SL Name: Sarasvatii
AkA: midget

Postby Saras » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:38 am

I'm really curious how many of the people saying what is and is not "Para RP" or even "good rp" in some cases, are even actually... role playing? Just kind of seems like the more you post on the forums the less you actually are rping.

But... this is just my opinion.

Also my opinion.. A paragraph, as the term indicates, and that can be short or long or somewhere in between. And just as -most- people conduct themselves differently depending on the group they are socializing with, I think the size of your post should also differ depending on the group. When I am role playing with my main partner type person, I can go up to 20 minutes and so can they and neither of us give two fuzzy monkey butts about it either. And when I'm in a large group I write far shorter length (both in time and size) because it's just respectful, I feel. But just like limits, I tend to mirror. Or, I at least try.
Tamar Luminos
SL Name: Lamar Luminos
Caste: Gorean Subversive
Role: Roleplayer
Home Stone: Turia
Owner: Harlequin said put him

Postby Tamar Luminos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:03 pm

I'm really curious how many of the people saying what is and is not "Para RP" or even "good rp" in some cases, are even actually... role playing? Just kind of seems like the more you post on the forums the less you actually are rping.

Ooh, I can answer this for myself. I'm roleplaying! In Turia. Having a damned fine time with it, too. I generally post on the forums during the day when I'm busy working, cleaning house, and sort of on and offline, and then I roleplay at night when I've actually got a couple hours straight of free time.

And, looking back at this thread- was a pretty good discussion of para-rp and post length, really. Nice to read over it again.
"...to take truth for granted is not to know it. Truth not won is not possessed. We are not entitled to truths for which we have not fought." --- (Marauders of Gor, p.7)
http://clockworkkitteh.blogspot.com/
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:11 pm

Saras wrote:I'm really curious how many of the people saying what is and is not "Para RP" or even "good rp" in some cases, are even actually... role playing? Just kind of seems like the more you post on the forums the less you actually are rping.

I actively roleplay too. Looking over the contributors, I counted 10 posters that I believe are roleplaying, give or take. I think your theory is off. Posting on the forums doesn't take time away from roleplaying in world. Having a free 10 minutes to read and post doesn't mean you also have a free two hours to roleplay out a scene.
Harlequin
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.

Postby Harlequin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Actually pretty active in Turia (Which is awesome) running a tavern (Which is also awesome and everyone who isn't a filthy FW shold drink there). And before then though we weren't in Gor? Still doing lots of RP and other related stuff in Remnants of Earth. Twice no less.

I'd say you maybe don't know at least some of us simply because we don't RP in the same places. Gor's rather large, after all.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
Manon Seid
SL Name: Manon Seid
Role: Mostly gone building mesh
Home Stone: Isle of Sin

Postby Manon Seid » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:40 pm

I am sneaking back into Gor roleplay on occasion. More recently than i thought i would and having a great time with it too. There are some really awsome roleplayers in SL Gor still.
A Demon Sin - Thanks for the gift Judas
Pepper
SL Name: Pepper

Postby Pepper » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:02 pm

Manon Seid wrote:I am sneaking back into Gor roleplay on occasion. More recently than i thought i would and having a great time with it too. There are some really awsome roleplayers in SL Gor still.

11. :lol:
Saras
SL Name: Sarasvatii
AkA: midget

Postby Saras » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Harlequin wrote:I'd say you maybe don't know at least some of us simply because we don't RP in the same places. Gor's rather large, after all.

Probably. But i think it was more a general pissy-ness I was experiencing at the moment I wrote that because I had, had several conversations with people preaching to me about the rapid and (always) imminent decline of Gorean RP while spending literally all their SL time at the Hub or posting on forums.

My bad :hiding:
Torolf Fenrirson
SL Name: firstleviathan
Caste: Torvaldslander
Role: Kur Hunter
AkA: The Mountain Troll

Postby Torolf Fenrirson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:18 am

Saras wrote:
Harlequin wrote:I'd say you maybe don't know at least some of us simply because we don't RP in the same places. Gor's rather large, after all.

Probably. But i think it was more a general pissy-ness I was experiencing at the moment I wrote that because I had, had several conversations with people preaching to me about the rapid and (always) imminent decline of Gorean RP while spending literally all their SL time at the Hub or posting on forums.

My bad :hiding:

Neither these forums or the Gor hub is a good place to go to learn anything about what's actually happening on anyone's sim lol

Return to “Debate It.”