Visitors and Ranged Weapons

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!
User avatar
Theoden
Posts: 398
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am
SL Name: Theoden
Caste: Warrior

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Theoden » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:56 am

Melee only sims is the way to go, and it's being more and more adopted
User avatar
Anarch Allegiere
Posts: 1000
Joined: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:01 am
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:14 am

Leah wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:It's been that way for many years and it annoys me too. It's mostly an OOC thing because the defenders are afraid a visitor they let inside their gates (and thus past their bunker defenses against a raid) might start fighting them, so they want to cripple them and make sure they can't use the best weapon in the GM meter, a bow.


I always thought it was because bow weapons both clog up sims (causing horrendous lag) and are ridiculously OP. :-P


If that was the case then they'd simply not allow bows during raids either, instead of just bullying the visitors that want to get past the gates to find some RP.
JackoS
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:59 am
SL Name: Jacko Stawberry

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby JackoS » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:33 am

It is a rule that also annoys me a lot. It shows that usually they are afraid, not how a gorean should behave. Besides in the books nobody asks such thing: if they don't trust a visitor they don't allow him in, they impale him

Besides roleplaying buying another bow inside, which i have done several times, I also have a spear that can be throwable (in the narrow streets of some cities, it more than makes up for a bow) and while i deposit the bow, with all pomp and circumstance, I keep the spear. :mrgreen:
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Leah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:18 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:
Leah wrote:
Anarch Allegiere wrote:It's been that way for many years and it annoys me too. It's mostly an OOC thing because the defenders are afraid a visitor they let inside their gates (and thus past their bunker defenses against a raid) might start fighting them, so they want to cripple them and make sure they can't use the best weapon in the GM meter, a bow.


I always thought it was because bow weapons both clog up sims (causing horrendous lag) and are ridiculously OP. :-P


If that was the case then they'd simply not allow bows during raids either, instead of just bullying the visitors that want to get past the gates to find some RP.


Ohhh...I had assumed that if they didn't allow them into the city, they didn't allow them at all. My mistake!
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Dyce
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Dyce » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 pm

It's a rule going around for non-residential visitors, Leah. If you are a visitor, you can't have a bow/crossbow. One sim I visited stated all ranged weapons.
User avatar
Architeuthis
Posts: 194
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:09 pm
SL Name: ~

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Architeuthis » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:53 pm

I've always felt the whole "stick your bow/crossbow in this storage locker or you can't come in" thing was a cop out meant to give the home team an unfair advantage. This to me speaks volumes about how overpowered bows are in the GM combat system. Here, keep your sword, axe, dagger and anything other than that Gorean rocket propelled grenade launcher with unlimited ammo.

Perhaps if they were nerfed and brought more into balance with melee weapons there would be no need for this--but then people would bitch and plus the weapons makers wouldn't make as much money so there's your answer as to why this hasn't been done.

Anyways I have gotten around this in the past a few different ways. I may carry a not so well hidden ranged weapon over my shoulder such as a bow and use that as my sacrificial lamb so to speak...they ask me for my bow, I hand it over...but I still have the one handed crossbow and unless they ask for that specifically I whistle as I keep it and walk on past them.

That or I may arrange for an extra bow to be stashed somewhere on the sim. Perhaps I pay someone off. Perhaps I buy one from the local blacksmith.

The point is, if you really want to keep your ranged weapon and the bouncers at the gate make you fork it over, if you are creative there are ways to roleplay around it.
Dyce
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:49 pm
SL Name: Dyce Boucher

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Dyce » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:12 pm

Architeuthis wrote:Perhaps if they were nerfed and brought more into balance with melee weapons there would be no need for this--but then people would bitch and plus the weapons makers wouldn't make as much money so there's your answer as to why this hasn't been done.


Primus Weapons made a realistic line of bows per my request ... about 3 or so sims of mine back. They're still on the market.
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Leah » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Dyce wrote:It's a rule going around for non-residential visitors, Leah. If you are a visitor, you can't have a bow/crossbow. One sim I visited stated all ranged weapons.


Eh hem.

Well, I wouldn't let you into my city with any weapons at all. :-P Might disrupt my tea party, dammit!
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
User avatar
Harlequin
Posts: 317
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:25 am
SL Name: Harlequin Salome
Caste: Scripter
Role: Guy Who Stares In Confusion
Home Stone: Blender, mostly.
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Harlequin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:54 pm

Well made projectile weapons shouldn't cause lag, though, and it puzzles me why Goreans still seem to take it on faith that they should.

There's no way that a group of even 40 goreans should be putting out more projectiles than even 20 SL combat types with machineguns and aircraft and spacecraft.

The only lag that could be caused is either terribly scripted bow cores... or maybe just all those listens and calls, which is honestly a flaw in the system itself... which is another reason that the GM should be getting a good hard look.
There used to be a gif here. It was awesome. But it's gone now.
User avatar
Leah
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 3:14 pm
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara
Location: Somewhere in Eorzea
Contact:

Re: Visitors and Ranged Weapons

Postby Leah » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:27 am

Harlequin wrote:Well made projectile weapons shouldn't cause lag, though, and it puzzles me why Goreans still seem to take it on faith that they should.

There's no way that a group of even 40 goreans should be putting out more projectiles than even 20 SL combat types with machineguns and aircraft and spacecraft.

The only lag that could be caused is either terribly scripted bow cores... or maybe just all those listens and calls, which is honestly a flaw in the system itself... which is another reason that the GM should be getting a good hard look.


All I know is what I've seen. *shrugs* If the lag is from something other than the 40+ people on sim throwing projectiles in the air (some of which would freeze in place mid-air because the sim couldn't handle it), I'm not aware of what it could be.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499

Return to “Debate It.”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest