2. No
36%

Total votes: 14
Oor
SL Name: Oor Breen
Home Stone: ROIAF: GoT RP

Re: Spycam?

Postby Oor » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:59 am

I'm not fussed about people reading what I put in open chat. If they metagame I'll handle it.

I wouldn't use this because I hate finding things out OOCly that I don't know ICly. Makes the eventual RP of asking/questioning/finding out/being lied to/etc very boring.
I call my vagina "New Yorker cartoon" because it's dry and a handful of people have laughed at it.

Flix
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 am

I was once spy cammed by a sim admin.

I IC reprimanded his slave girl. Then he came in my IM and said i was banned. I said "how you know what was said". He had used a device to hear all chat in the sim.

Any way I contacted the sim owner, he did not found my RP strange so i was not banned. 2 weeks later the spying admin and his slave were both thrown out and banned by the sim council.
Last edited by Aphris on Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Aphris
SL Name: Aphris Myoo
Role: Yearkeeper & Trader
Home Stone: Kataii

Postby Aphris » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 am

double post
She smiled. "I have grown fond of the smell of bosk," said she. Kamchak smiled. He held his hand to the girl. "Ride with me, Aphris of Turia," said Kamchak of the Tuchuks. Image
Frevet

Postby Frevet » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:52 am

Paying 3k for something that is 1. a breach of SL TOS in the way you intent to use it and 2. isn't really that hard to script borders on idiocy. -.-

Here the part of the TOS in question (can be found in the Community Standards to which you are made to agree by agreeing to the TOS.)

"Remotely monitoring conversations in Second Life, posting conversation logs, or sharing conversation logs without the participants' consent are all prohibited."

Consent is the key.

Linden Labs does NOT allow such use of chat listeners, unless the owner of the device makes people aware of the use of it. The listener-script provided by Linden Labs comes with a warning on top.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Listener_Script
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:45 am

The original link isn't a listener, it's just a camming aid with the same functionality most viewer-radars already give with a double-click on the avatar's name.

Some viewers have camming limitations(based on draw distance). With Singularity set to 300m, I can see the full sim, i.e. from a market 3km up, I can cam the ground, rez the build and all avatars.

As for chat-listeners, I'd be wary of any sim owner/admin using them under the pretence of moderation. When a mod is called, the RP should be notecarded. And this is assuming a mod is called at all, as most 'Goreans' have cut out the middleman and self-moderate their own RP.

It's rare, but I have seen sim-scanning devices rezzed on RP sims, from Thomas Conover. They appear to give the monitoring functionality a sim owner might want, but could as easily be used for nefarious purposes. Sim owners should keep auto-return on, or risk becoming a host for these types of devices.
Anarch Allegiere
SL Name: Anarch Allegiere

Postby Anarch Allegiere » Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:55 pm

Mhm, curious. Is that new to their ToS? Because I can't remember ever seeing this mentioned before about the listen function. It's also a bit of a gray area considering they can't really check on wether someone is monitoring other's chat or not, that and the fact that LL themselves were offering SL on a silver platter to government surveillance organisations to monitor people's public and private chat. :problem:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:55 pm

Anarch Allegiere wrote:It's also a bit of a gray area considering they can't really check on wether someone is monitoring other's chat or not, that and the fact that LL themselves were offering SL on a silver platter to government surveillance organisations to monitor people's public and private chat. :problem:

Fair point, that. But I do think LL can check if someone is monitoring, when they want to. Things is... they kinda delegated the task of monitoring stuff like this to the land-owners a while ago. I don't think they are going to bother.

But if this is the ToS, technically, a sim owner would not be allowed to use stuff like this. Unless they made it known. And don't most have some stuff about RP logs being used in moderation in most rules, somewhere? That might cover it.

In practical terms, I think that if a user complained to LL about a sim owner banning a person over something in general chat which they learned through a spy script, this would NOT result in action from LL. If that sim-owner learned something real-life related that way, and it could be shown that they spread that knowledge, that is another matter (but then, that might be something LL acted upon, whatever the means by which the information was acquired).

Return to “Debate It.”