Light or heavy moderation

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

I am a ... and this forum needs ...

Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
1%
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
No votes
Lurker/reader, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
No votes
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
22%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
22%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
8%
Infrequent poster,and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
8%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
5%
Infrequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'light' moderation.
7%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'medium' moderation.
2%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
5%
Frequent poster, and I prefer 'heavy' moderation.
5%
Other (please explain)
1%
Other (please explain)
1%

Total votes: 88
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Re: Light or heavy moderation

Postby Alice McConnell » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

Glaucon wrote:@ Alice: I didn't expect you to be able to resist for long. :roll:

Ah, I tried, but you know I can't. It is stupid, but I expect I will still be foaming at the mouth about that whole thing when I am lying 6 feet under.
Garian
SL Name: Garian Vidor

Postby Garian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:14 pm

Such a strong statement about what I'm full of or how pious I sound, when your post basically shows what I said was correct on the money. Read it. I admit I was hesitant with moderating, but Cliff was a friend and I am interested in Gor and proper discussion of it. My moderation has always been in line with rules and discussed ahead of time. If we disagreed, it was because I had a different impression, but I never had anything against you. Isn't it clear there are assumptions being made about who I am throughout your posts based on no information? I never planned to speak up as a lurker viewing a train wreck, and I don't make it a habit to get involved with drama, period, which is why in a few of the mod bashing threads there has been a lot of false information handed out, but amazing that we let it run its course. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Creative with the truth? I stated objective facts you even confirmed, unlike the pattern I'm witnessing. But I expect subjective interpretation to be creative, I'm just going to point it out.

You have it 'in front of you'? Well... show us the money.

Tip: Read before posting.

I did expect to get banned.

Isn't that all that needs to be said? If you're deadset on it, your actions reflected it.

If that IS what you call griefing, then so be it, but that is not what people mean by 'griefing'. And willfully using strongly negative terms to describe things not normally described with those terms is called smearing. Which is a variety of lying.

Your action was disruptive to the process of the board and we had checks to ensure we at least thought action through. You were a big part of that too, establishing rules and a system, and we continued it after whatever made you drop admin status. Is everything black and white? I never said anything like it.

And please stop that act about all that mysterious stuff 'going on behind the scenes', that other people don't know about. I have administered this forum. Others have run forums too, I am sure. We know how it goes. I really doubt that this stuff is all that mysterious to anyone.

Missing the point that if you're going to state something didn't happen, don't you have to actually know? It's absurd.

You have never been too interested in debating anything. Even now, that you are no longer a moderator, you seem to go for authrority arguments only and avoid giving real arguments or answering those that challenge your claims. All you were ever in it for was to be or feel important, I guess. And shame on me for making you a moderator without figuring out why you wanted to be a moderator in the first place. The one valuable thing you ever told me was to be less trusting as to people's motives. Too bad I didn't take your advice.

I think you mistake my actions for the fact that I avoid senseless discussion, and the rest of the assumptions are entirely off the mark. Do you think I feel important at all with reactions I get? And yet here I am still working at something. Is there a personal qualm here? It's unreasonable.

Now, people can start quoting rules, saying Ceri should enforce her rules or change them.

Work on being clear. I posted rules for an entirely different intention, and while you twist things, your sense of consistent debate flies out the window by attaching two unrelated points, among the other errors.

Ah, I tried, but you know I can't. It is stupid, but I expect I will still be foaming at the mouth about that whole thing when I am lying 6 feet under.

What do you think that says? I just hope those willing to expose their attitudes and lack of comprehension are read for what it truly is.
twitter.com/GarianVidor
GariansGoreanGuide.tumblr.com

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Alice McConnell
SL Name: Alice McConnell
Caste: For(r)est Girl
Role: Former gorum wordcount champ
Home Stone: Jara stole it
Owner: Var Viverra She

Postby Alice McConnell » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:33 pm

@ Garian: Not going to respond to most of that. I can barely follow what you say, in any case (maybe I am not the only one that should "work on being clear"). I did notice you exchanging 'griefing' for 'disrupting' now. A slight improvement, at least.

The POINT that I made before stands, though: It is the users that determine the tone and level of the debate.

When the forum for the CoFG-RP was created, it was very rough. It got a little less rough, because people interested in more general debate joined up (or where the ones staying around). The Gorums 1.0 (with me in charge) were not 'nice', but generally less rough than the previous one. After I left, taking my 'light moderation policy' with me, things didn't get any nicer. When Ceri took over, I don't believe things got immediately 'nicer' either. It was a group of 'not-so-nice' users leaving that made the difference, made this place consirably 'nicer' again (though not really nice, still, see the small personal jabs at me by Mat and Claude in another thread. Give me honest debaters that use rough language and that disagree openly any day).

So, if that is true, then maybe 'medium' or even 'heavy' moderation would not really make the conversation any more civil. Maybe moderation can make a difference, in stopping people from using bad words. But the debate can't be made more honest, more genuine, less snarky, etc. by it, I think, without changing the users.
Garian

Postby Garian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:46 pm

Alice McConnell wrote:I did notice you exchanging 'griefing' for 'disrupting' now. A slight improvement, at least.

That's not an exchange, that's to point out you were in fact griefing.

Maybe moderation can make a difference, in stopping people from using bad words. But the debate can't be made more honest, more genuine, less snarky, etc. by it, I think, without changing the users.

I think something overlooked is a moderation posting, which provides examples and the users will respond in a lot of reflecting ways. Again, there are limits as you suggest, it's not a way to force, it's a way to establish how it's done and get things going. There is a lot that does go into this and almost makes me wonder what people are getting at when they claim "I know modding, it's simple"... well, I do like to consider a lot more than that.
twitter.com/GarianVidor

"In the heart of every male, there is a Gorean, even if only a secret, concealed Gorean."
Rebels of Gor
Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Postby Mat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:47 pm

@ Alice

self absorbed much, I don't think I mentioned you at all in the other thread just a general statement that applied to all.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Claude Belgar
SL Name: Claude Belgar
Role: Trader… sort of…
Home Stone: Twin Falls
Owner: None… I think.
Location: Looking down at the idiocy of Kaitlin and Sasi, among others

Postby Claude Belgar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm

Mat wrote:@ Alice

self absorbed much, I don't think I mentioned you at all in the other thread just a general statement that applied to all.

There is a name for this: paranoia.

But Alice's insults in her various posts are some of the reasons of the reasons why we need a heavier moderation. Do we need a hard, North Korea-like moderation ? Of course not, but the lax, Somalia-like moderation we actually have isn't a good thing either. What is needed is something in between, something that would let peoples argue, even argue with passion, but would not accept that they'll rely to insults and personals attacks to make a point.
"when all the books show that Gorean seldom change of home stone."Sasi.

"I have never said that the books stated that Gorean seldom change of homestone."Sasi.

Sasi caught lying between her teeth.
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Riiight
Garian

Postby Garian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:30 pm

@Glaucon
As you said, IC drama ideally. That's how I view relevant discussion within a thread. Going off the mark is kind of like going to OOC drama.
Last edited by Garian on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
twitter.com/GarianVidor

Rebels of Gor

Postby ... » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

:popcorn:
Garian

Postby Garian » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:59 pm

Kaitlin wrote:And yet even you felt it was necessary to go off topic to clarify your own point. I think most posters here believe that should be allowed even if we could care less about the actual content. No one is going to die. People can still skip around your exchanges with Alice and answer the OP or even go back to posts before some of those exchanges and respond to other posters in just the way you did with Glaucon.

This is a unique occurrence but some clarity appears helpful, and these experiences have been somehow relevant to note for the OP, so mine must provide equal relevance. Nobody official told me I was off-topic. The OP didn't hold the same standards in his own thread, so I'm not going to listen to it. I recognize the rules and point of the thread I'm in, which means I'm within the parameters.

*Puts on hazmat suit*

The fact is, it begins somewhere and causes the types of posts it reflects. I am deterred from many things however, which reflects my post amount. Once in participation with something off-topic, it's less about intending to be off-topic than it is to keep relevant with the flow of conversation. Again, another reason moderation helps.
twitter.com/GarianVidor

Rebels of Gor

Return to “Debate It.”