Would your character follow a female in power?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Would your character follow a female in power?

Yes, as much as he/she would follow a man in power.
14%
Yes, as much as he/she would follow a man in power.
14%
Yes, but with reservations (explain in your post).
10%
Yes, but with reservations (explain in your post).
10%
No, never.
14%
No, never.
14%
No, unless she was truly a good leader.
4%
No, unless she was truly a good leader.
4%
My character couldn't give less of a fuck.
8%
My character couldn't give less of a fuck.
8%

Total votes: 50
Lindsay Dover
SL Name: Ellie Spiritor
Caste: Blue
Role: Accountant
Home Stone: Amhas Cairn

Re: Would your character follow a female in power?

Postby Lindsay Dover » Tue May 07, 2013 4:01 am

Seems most of the "No, Never" responses (minus Torvaldslanders) are more akin to OOCness than actual book driven information. If the role of power for a woman didn't exist in the books, you wouldn't have a Tatrix. Granted the rule of a Tatrix is short lived, it still exists and there is no denying that. I get that Gor is male driven and all but there is nothing wrong with a woman making a power play if she had the money (and lots of it) and cunning to do it. I would follow a woman with no reservations and treat her like any other leader. She makes a stupid move, I'll call her on it, just like I would a man and yes...as a Free Woman, I will call a man on his bullshit and handle the consequences of my mouth with dignity.
Trying to modify my appearance RL but the fudge oreos keep causing lag.
Kiana Kuhr
SL Name: Kiana Kuhr
Role: RL, mostly

Postby Kiana Kuhr » Tue May 07, 2013 4:12 am

I think I made it pretty clear that it does exist in the books, but that we weren't discussing that aspect of it (its in another thread).

I specifically wanted a response about what your character would do. Mine would not follow a woman. He is incredibly conservative in his views on women. He is respectful of them and even courteous at times, but he would never allow one to be in charge. So, if a woman were to become Ubara or hold some important position, he would find ways to demean and even outright ridicule her. So no, mine is not an OOC response to females having power. It is an IC response to a very common sentiment held by men in the books. (See my quote.)
Sometimes our power resides not in what we do, but in what we don't do.
-Paulo Coelho
HorizonNinetails
SL Name: Horizon Ninetails
Caste: Pirate
Role: Scoundrel
Home Stone: Deck beneath my feet

Postby HorizonNinetails » Tue May 07, 2013 4:57 am

Yes, with reservations.

I know Gwen and Melisande have both filled powerful roles in the past and created a great deal of story with it. There are people out there who can no doubt hold these roles legitimately.

Usually, however, the power is because of sim ownership - and ICly, the person can't responsibly hold the role with integrity. Those are the sims I avoid - because any conflict you put up will be negated.

And - you can also have power without title. The issue is - getting the rest of the sim to play along. I think people (including myself) are naturally selfish to some degree - they like to buck the trends to either stand out or have "their own little thing" going on.
Violetta Daviau
SL Name: Violetta Daviau

Postby Violetta Daviau » Tue May 07, 2013 5:18 am

HorizonNinetails wrote:...And - you can also have power without title. The issue is - getting the rest of the sim to play along. I think people (including myself) are naturally selfish to some degree - they like to buck the trends to either stand out or have "their own little thing" going on.

I always enjoyed - given it was GE - the role of the "second to the Hura" (replace Hura with the name of a SL Gorean panther girl band leader / En): I advised, took a certain set of responsibility, was something between the Fist of the Leader and the topkick/kissem / mother of the company which members trusted when fearing the leader, respected when hating the leader for her harsh but needed decisions, and feared and followed in times the leader had a weak time (not though weak enough that I'd enslave them)... an adviser and caretaker of sorts, person of trust and person for the shady tasks (I had to bring away like 5 babies from slaves or free band members who, when captured and escaped, suffered from the results of men sporting breeding wine into them before raping them a few days). The responsibilities and decisions though were made by others...
Dren Bernard
SL Name: Dren Bernard
Caste: Physician's
Role: On sabatical
Home Stone: Salernum

Postby Dren Bernard » Tue May 07, 2013 6:30 am

Interesting question.

ICly I would under no circumstances accept a female head of caste now. I say now because when I started as a physician I was learning the Gorean ropes and would have made a hopeless head of caste IC and OOC wise.

After that and over the years I have held the head of Physician's caste position in numerous cities. Never a fan of the PCOG, Kait and I developed Teslik & Sip root, still the most Gorean authentic Medical role play knowledge base. Even if i had a very pragmatic view to Gorean medical role play - show me you can RP and this is a list of what NOT to do - it still came with a lot of work that meant I was more often than not facilitating others to RP Green caste role play then rping myself. I have always been committed to authentic Gorean Medical role play, which would dictate a male head of caste. However....

Then RL became even busier and so OOC considerations took over. I still don't accept -ICly- a female head of caste but I can't even find the consistent time - when others are online as well - to properly challenge the current head of caste in my own sim.

Head of caste brings the need for an OOC presence and responsibility. No use being a paper head of caste or never be present when the role is called for.

So: nope IC not acceptable but I can't put my money where my mouth is for OOC-RL reasons. So in practice I condone a female head but only for pragmatic RL reasons.

Once I have a little more time, you better watch out neighbour!
Dren & Kait's Gorean Physician's resource:
http://teslikandsiproot.webs.com/
Allison Baker
SL Name: allisonbaker
Caste: Poets & Musicians
Role: Free Woman
Home Stone: Verr Fjord

Postby Allison Baker » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 am

Well my character would have no problem with a strong Ubara, someone along the lines of Joan of Arc or Catherine the Great, however as JN seems to have largely ignored that aspect of mankind's history my point is largely moot.
RL Slave, doubt you'd survive

There were still things she had to do before the sweet tide of insanity ebbed
Architeuthis
SL Name: ~

Postby Architeuthis » Tue May 07, 2013 8:07 am

FTR my response was not an OOC one either. Guess I need to clarify though. ICly I could never follow a woman. Period.
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue May 07, 2013 8:40 am

Lindsay Dover wrote:Seems most of the "No, Never" responses (minus Torvaldslanders) are more akin to OOCness than actual book driven information. If the role of power for a woman didn't exist in the books, you wouldn't have a Tatrix. Granted the rule of a Tatrix is short lived, it still exists and there is no denying that. I get that Gor is male driven and all but there is nothing wrong with a woman making a power play if she had the money (and lots of it) and cunning to do it. I would follow a woman with no reservations and treat her like any other leader. She makes a stupid move, I'll call her on it, just like I would a man and yes...as a Free Woman, I will call a man on his bullshit and handle the consequences of my mouth with dignity.

Since I'm one of those "No, never" vote I'll just say in describing my rational you are wrong. My position is pretty much shored up by the books and as Auron said there is a very lengthy thread on the book interpretation. I think he was going after "how would your character respond".
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Kaitlin
SL Name: Kaitlin Eiren
Caste: RL ATM

Postby Kaitlin » Tue May 07, 2013 8:46 am

Dren Bernard wrote:Once I have a little more time, you better watch out neighbour!

ICly - If I were still of the caste I'd be working tirelessly to have my lazy (ask she sees it) brother put into the seat from behind the scenes. Power in Gor is wealth and influence for a woman. :popcorn:

OOCly - it would be a blast but sadly neither of us has the time thanks to RL ATM. I could be wrong but it seems the role in K was written in a fashion to invite such challenges.
Some people create their own storms, then get upset when it rains.

Once upon a time... Kait
Kiana Kuhr
SL Name: Kiana Kuhr
Role: RL, mostly

Postby Kiana Kuhr » Tue May 07, 2013 9:43 am

Kaitlin wrote:OOCly - it would be a blast but sadly neither of us has the time thanks to RL ATM. I could be wrong but it seems the role in K was written in a fashion to invite such challenges.

Definitely was.
Sometimes our power resides not in what we do, but in what we don't do.
-Paulo Coelho

Return to “Debate It.”