Current Sim Shelf Life - 2 Months? Less? Storyline RP Dead?

PLEASE READ THE RULES BEFORE POSTING!

Current Shelf Life of a Gorean Sim?

1-2 Months
10%
1-2 Months
10%
3-4 Months
28%
3-4 Months
28%
5-6 Months
4%
5-6 Months
4%
7-8 Months
4%
7-8 Months
4%
9+ Months
4%
9+ Months
4%

Total votes: 50
Khyos Dagger
SL Name: Khyos Dagger

Re: Current Sim Shelf Life - 2 Months? Less? Storyline RP De

Postby Khyos Dagger » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:18 am

Reading through these post I have just a few thoughts. I have owned a sim before. I know the amount of time that it takes and it was my money that was put up to buy and maintain it. So to be then told I am the problem, that I am not keeping up with it so other people can have fun while they share no financial obligation. I find this insulting.

Sims do have a shelf life. People get bored. Owners and players alike only hold their attention so long. Sim can try and react and change to keep interest up. For my wife and I, we owned the VRO, there came a point where it the fun was gone. We dreaded getting online and those people that felt we owned them a place to play became too big of a burden.

In opposition to the people that had issues in Salernum. Get over it. I myself had a blast in that sim. I thought the owners had done a wonderful job and they had spent untold HOURS and HOURS just with the back story. Where there bad players there...of course. There are bad players everywhere. When you open a sim to traffic that is a risk you take.

I commend anyone that opens and runs a sim. Thank you for giving me a place to play. Thank you for putting up money so that I can get online and have some fun. You owe me nothing
Last edited by Khyos Dagger on Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:19 am

Victor. wrote:
I love how you left the censorship out at one line in this :D Bella was a bit odd, I give you that. But then again I don't know what the emote was she was referring to, if you thought-emote insulted her, I'd say you had it coming your way. ;)

And OF COURSE my memories about Salernum have a rosy-hue, hence why I put the disclaimer about nostalgia there. But from my experience, what you've encountered was by far the exception to the rule.

Though, FWs with the notable exception of Gretchen, Eve, Allison and Melisandre are always kinda weird if you ask me...

The thought emote was neither insulting nor negative. She admits she overreacted in the IM. It was pretty depressing from a sim hailed as great. Sure, you shouldn't judge a sim by one member - but first impressions are difficult to shake off.

And yeah, I agree most FW are kinda weird .. :mrgreen:

The point was really - the issues we complain about today, were just as rampant then. We just forget. Heck, my first sim was Tryos... it was rampant with IC/OOC silliness.. but I still have the fondest of memories for it. I do think Raz was correct earlier in the thread about looking forward though instead of back. I do believe I have many more high points to come in my SL Gor RP.

(and I did try to edit out all the names.. oooops. ;) )
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:33 am

Victor. wrote: I don't know the thought-emote you gave her that kickstarted all of this, but it seems that this was drama between Bella, your guy and yourself that had little to do with the city you were in...At least she apologized at the end and admitted her wrong doing? *shrugs*

No, the drama was all hers... we neither created nor encouraged it and actually RP our way out of the scene to escape the nonsense. She was simply OOC butthurt and let it ruin the RP. Simple. It has everything to do with the city I was in, because she was a prominent RP'er there, and that is where we were.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Olaf
SL Name: Olaf

Postby Olaf » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:41 am

It takes nothing to make those sorts butthurt, and she wasn't the only there who was like that. I remember a few of the dudes were also nutbags with a cute little lifestyler chip on their shoulder.
serene mistwood

Postby serene mistwood » Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:56 am

Yeah. I don't care if people hold sims up to ideals. We all have our own high moments. But I am not going to pretend that the experience of one person in a particular sim is the same as anothers. I am not "Salernum bashing" (as I have just been accused of in a private message) - just being realistic to my own experience of a sim that was already under discussion in this thread.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am

Meh, whether anyone liked it as much as I did - who gives a shit. The point I was trying to make: If people start to try to find their playerbase outside of those remnants of formerly well-received sims - good luck with that. Catapulting yourself back to 2005 and gate guarding galore.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
FeorieFrimon
SL Name: Feorie Frimon

Postby FeorieFrimon » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:23 pm

serene mistwood wrote:
And yeah, I agree most FW are kinda weird .. :mrgreen:

Hey...HEY NOW! We Free women are awesome. :)

Oh wait...I'm enslaved. Damn.

:D
Perse
SL Name: Perse

Postby Perse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:39 pm

Good topic.

Seems the trend is 2-6 months in the last couple of years.

Here are a couple things people've said that resonate with me:

Olaf wrote:A SIM owner should provide the environment and opportunities for stories to develop, but they are not the storytellers, they are not the Spielbergs of SL Gor. You cannot expect players to want to play the part you have decided they should, you can only point them in a direction and hope they go there. The players tell the story, not you. When you try to force it, your SIM dies, and it should die.

Feorie wrote:3. Don't freak out about traffic. We're going in to the slow time of the year for 'sim traffic'. The US is celebrating Thanksgiving, then Christmas...it doesn't usually pick up until around Feb. 1 or so. Then the summer is always depressing for sim traffic as well. There is an ebb and flow. Sometimes the numbers are high, and sometimes they aren't. Thats just how it is.

Arella wrote:You fail to recognize just how important it is to have leadership and a genuine interest in a sims players.You can't just slap out your pretty build, tell them to come and create their own stories without any guidance or support from the sim and group owners,[...]

I think you absolutely can, and in my experience, the SIMs without that micro-managerial attitude are the most successful and most refreshing and fun to play in. I don't want the SIM management/owners/admin team to set out a guideline of stories for me to follow. I agree, as Olaf mentioned up there, that opportunities should be given to the player base, but full-on plots dictating what direction the entire SIM should go just puts me off.

Arella wrote:continually scold them all in notices and group chats..

I'd defo agree with that part, though.

Victor wrote:I'd say right now, a sim's life time cycle spans but a few months. How many months that are, hugely depends on what time your sim opens, in my experience. Opening up a sim in October seems to be the wisest choice. Autumn is in full swing, people get lazier, their outdoor activities in most parts of the world diminish week-days and they generally are online more, RP more.

Yep!

In the past, there wasn't as much focus on the 'epic stories', political intrigue and revolution, factions of dangerous mob-like groups, and the like, built into a SIM's foundation at inception. These days, it seems like every new SIM that's opened is built around those concepts, and to me, it feels completely forced. I love playing out all of the above and then some, but I want it to happen organically; because we as players made those events unfold through our RP.

It seems that those sorts of high-octane, high-paced (IC) drama laden SIMs where these sorts of stories are taking place come to a screeching halt once the 'kingdom's been captured', so to speak. People lose interest, when in reality, there's a plethora of stories to be told of the aftermath. And instead of moving forward and building on that material, they close-up shop and make their shiny new drama; starting the process over again on a new SIM and different setting with a slightly different - but similar - story. And that’s cool, but I think it only works for those willing to dedicate a LOT of time to their SIMs/stories, like Dren said:

Dren wrote:Another issue is time. Someone who can afford to be here daily will have in 5 months more RP experience then I in 5 years. And so, no doubt, will get bored much sooner than I. Those with time on their hand will determine role play far more than I ever will.

Absofreakinglutely. After being gone 2 days from SL, it often feels like I’ve missed years of RP and have to play catch-up.

I really don't have any solutions of my own to offer. I wish I did. I don't mind doing the traveler thing, though; all I need’s backdrop, but I would love to settle somewhere for more than 2-4 months. I wish Meri would post again on what else keeps Hochburg viable, because she's doing something right!

@Glaucon: I'm not sure who you're talking about from Salernum, but I don't think most of them, (save a small handful) are playing in the short-lived SIMs we're talking about here. Most I know are the travelling kind Kait mentioned in her OP.
Meredith Topaz
SL Name: Meredith Topaz
AkA: Meredith Topaz

Postby Meredith Topaz » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:06 pm

Here in Hochburg we strive not to micro-manage the roleplayers that choose to play here. We want them to have fun and we admins want to have fun as well..lol. Getting deeply involved in how roleplay unfolds doesn't sound exciting at all.

From time to time we will set up a big roleplay like the recent rain storm which collapsed the inn and infirmary (a nice excuse to rebuild them) and just let people roleplay it how they wanted.

The admins also comprimise with the wishes of the roleplayers on the sim and we are willing to try just about anything as long as it makes sense for the genre of BTB Gor. Recently we changed our rules to allow bows as some of the men wished to give it a try. Did all the admins want bows? No, but we were all for giving it a trial to see how it goes, compromise never hurts.

A lot of the admins are on the sim roleplaying everyday as well. We love roleplaying, after all that is what we are all there for.

Really we are generally just a very relaxed group that gets along amazingly well. If we goof up we admit it and move on. People make mistakes, it happens and we totally understand that and give our support to each other.

The players that grace us with their time are wonderful as well. They never cease to crack me up in a good way with their storylines. I love roleplaying and chatting in group chat with them all.

Basically it boils down to the Admin team is very active, we are very approachable, we love to roleplay and do so when we can and we know the art of compromise. There is also a solid and mature base of roleplayers that devote a lot of time to the city and we love them for it. :heart:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:37 am

Hmmm, Kaitlin. It seems a bit odd to talk about apples and oranges. We were (or at least I was) also talking about sims like Cardonicus and Treve, before, and Anarch was talking about his sim. I did think that the 'genre' was cities in (BtB) Gor in general, not limited to sims in the tradition (re-)started by Salernum.

Hochburg sounds like a cool place. And the admins also being active RP-ers is a very good thing, I feel.

Return to “Debate It.”