The Bible and Vikings on History Channel March 3rd

serene mistwood
SL Name: Izzy
Role: Social Gadfly
AkA: Isobel Mynx

Re: The Bible and Vikings on History Channel March 3rd

Postby serene mistwood » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:10 am

Glaucon wrote:
To me, the arguments that point to the 'limits' of science to somehow prove that there is a God seem all to be based flawed logic. A not being B doesn't prove A is C. On the other hand, atheists of the variety that pretend we know everything, that it is all matter and laws of physics and mechanics and chemistry stemming from a big bang irk me. Not because their overall theory is necessarily wrong (I pretty much agree with it), but because they pretend that this is somehow true knowledge, the actual state of affairs, and the only valid way to see the world, when the history and theory of science, philosophy and such should have taught them a little humility in this regard. Knowledge itself is an elusive concept. Because no matter how deep you look, you will never find a 'foundation of certainty' on which to build your castle of knowledge. In the end it is all rooted in belief, customs, habbits, and our limited ability to discern patterns and apparent co-relation, no matter how far our theories reach and how good they are.

Blahcon! I agree with you! :D Well, the highlighted bit of course. Not all. I try not to just dispose of knowledge because I can't get my head around it. I try to understand it. Quantum coherence is the essential difference between classical and quantum theories - and to just disregard that and say "classical pyhsics is just fine" because they don't fit into one cohesive model I find rather narrow minded and absurd.
"She still had all of her marbles, though every one of them was a bit odd and rolled asymmetrically." Firebirds Rising.
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:02 am

So...are they documentaries in a way or more the feature film sort?

Nevermind, watched the Bibles trailer now too - guess they are feature fimls really.
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Danika Stenvaag
SL Name: Danika Stenvaag
Caste: Panther
Role: Valkyrie Torva Chieftess
Home Stone: Valkyrie Forest

Postby Danika Stenvaag » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:17 am

What is hidden in snow, is revealed at thaw. ~ Viking proverb

http://www.valkyriepanthers.com
Victor.
SL Name: Victor Klavinham
Role: Mister Internet
Home Stone: SalernuM
Owner: V for VESSEL

Postby Victor. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:28 pm

Saw the first episode - was pretty okay, looking forward to more. I just didn't get the mutant shaman. *shrugs* Guess if it worked for 300's Xerxes, it has to do for the history channel.

Glad to see another of Stellan Skarsgard's sons to take on the Entertainment business after Alexander as "Eric" in "True Blood" :)
Eifersucht ist eine Leidenschaft, die mit Eifer sucht, was Leiden schafft. // Jealousy is a passion, seeking zealously what causes suffering. Franz Grillparzer
Leah
SL Name: Liara Edring
Role: Rebel
Owner: My Internet Connection
AkA: Lailah, Lia, Liara

Postby Leah » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Oor wrote:I'm in Ireland and the majority of schools here are Catholic. Gay marriage is illegal, abortion is illegal (though rich families ship their daughters to the UK for abortions), and the main government-funded charity working with prostitutes is run by the same order of nuns than ran the magdalene laundries. Catholicism is written into the constitution, 90.47% of the population identify as christian, only 0.09% as atheist.

In the UK, where I grew up, the School Standards and Framework Act 1998 states that all pupils in state schools must take part in a daily act of collective worship, unless their parents request that they be excused from attending. I was often chastised for refusing to pray, hauled up in front of 600-strong assemblies, etc. It was character building. :)

Going to ignore the rest because I feel like we're catfighting over what is essentially reading tone into text. And I don't want to do this because what I quoted made me so angry I had to spend some time considering how I could even respond.

That isn't okay. It isn't okay to shame someone because you disagree with their religious beliefs. It isn't okay to apply your religious definition of right and wrong to someone else's lifestyle. As long as they are not hurting you or those around them, it's quite honestly none of your fucking business what religion they are or are not, how they live their lives or treat their bodies.

I struggle to understand how a rational person can believe that by shaming another person for their style of belief or unbelief will somehow convince them to join your religion. I struggle to understand how someone who has read the Bible, and seen the story of Doubting Thomas could ever believe that shaming someone in an attempt to try to make them believe in something that has no proof would accomplish anything. I don't recall Christ shaming Thomas when he finally believed after seeing Christ. And no one appeared to try to shame him beforehand - because they knew the story was crazy, improbable, and impossible. I struggle to understand how a person can believe that declarations of faith given under social pressure, public humiliation, or fear of retaliation are actual, heartfelt, truthful statements.

I just.

I don't know, Oor. I'm afraid you'll think I'm being condescending again if I apologize. Yet, I feel I should, because this is my faith that's being used to bludgeon other people and that is not okay. It's not okay. It's wrong. I'm sorry. What I was raised to believe says that what you have experienced is beyond wrong.

I just wanted to say that because...yeah. I just don't understand that kind of treatment. I don't understand why people would think it was acceptable. It's beyond my comprehension, and maybe that's why I'm coming across as condescending when I truly don't mean to be that way.
This isn't fucking Survivor. We aren't a tribe.

If I won't put up with an in-character owner trying to control my OOC life, what makes you think I'll put up with you trying to do that?

My Store: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/stores/165499
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:48 am

Can always convert to Orthodox from Catholic but I guess you'd have to apologize to me n that case!
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:24 am

Reading stuff like this make me realize I live in a rather modern country after all. :o.O:
Dont ask ... just do.
Mynerva
SL Name: *****

Postby Mynerva » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:27 am

I watched both.

I am not crazy about the bible show.

The viking show is downright stupid.
Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden.
Rosa Luxemburg
Tashiana
SL Name: Tashiana Ziplon
Role: Herlit
Home Stone: Sa Nahele

Postby Tashiana » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:17 am

Oh dear… after seeing the Viking show….

Why do US TV always totally ruin things… is it just to sell? Could they not at least tried to do something real for once?

I guess that from now many will think this is some sort of facts. :fryingpan:
Dont ask ... just do.
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:16 am

Tashiana wrote:Reading stuff like this make me realize I live in a rather modern country after all. :o.O:

No, you have a king :silent:

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”