Books

TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Re: Books

Postby TreatRothschild » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:29 am

I've started re-reading Midnight At The Well Of Souls by Jack Chalker. Interesting series of books. The main character is the Wandering Jew.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Gia
SL Name: Giada Koba
Home Stone: Tajuk Oasis
Owner: Josef Xaris

Postby Gia » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:40 pm

Glaucon Delphis wrote:And for those who feel like some lighter reading:

New good fantasy writer I found: Brandon Sanderson. In the third of his Final Empire series. Well written, fast paced, nice twists, action-filled but not dumb, Epic scale, but still easy to chew. For those that like Robin Hobb, Game of Thrones, that sort of thing. Slight vaguely sappy romance aspect, but nothing that should make anyone gag. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. "Mistborn" is very good.
~*~sweetlarma~*~
Gorean and Fantasy Merchandise: kirtles, slavewear, chores, furnishings, art

Located in Gorean Merchant Isles
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Gia wrote:
Glaucon Delphis wrote:And for those who feel like some lighter reading:

New good fantasy writer I found: Brandon Sanderson. In the third of his Final Empire series. Well written, fast paced, nice twists, action-filled but not dumb, Epic scale, but still easy to chew. For those that like Robin Hobb, Game of Thrones, that sort of thing. Slight vaguely sappy romance aspect, but nothing that should make anyone gag. ;)

Thanks for the suggestion. "Mistborn" is very good.

You are welcome. I like the series. Third book in the series is a bit... depressing (too much ash and gloom) so far, but... plenty of thrills... no way I am going to drop it. So, I'll just burn some tin to try to make out the light at the end of the tunnel. :)
Pelopidas
SL Name: Dion Diavolo

Postby Pelopidas » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:32 pm

The Longest War

Al-Qaeda: The True Story of Radical Islam

Two books on Al Qaeda with opposing theses. Well, first isnt strictly on Al Qaeda but on war on terror more generally, including the invasion on Iraq, but there's a strong Al Qaeda emphasis nonetheless.

First ones argues that Al Qaeda was, and remained, except during a short pause around the time the US invaded Afghanistan and kicked them out, a highly centralized bureaucratic organization, which has become rather marginalized nowdays and the death of Bin Landen and the ongoing Arab Spring are the last nails on its coffin. The "Longest War" is coming to an end.

Second book argues exactly the opposite, that Al Qaeda was never this highly organized terrorist organization, except during 1997-2001, and the real threat nowadays is coming from a whole bunch of radical Islamic groups around the world that need only a push to jump to terrorist actions, without any requirements for central guidance, control and outside help. They are rather self sufficient.

Both books are very well researched and rather convincing, 2nd one did come off as more analytical, but at first read id rate their class a tie, need to re-read to make up my mind.

And i just realized that i spent my entire summer reading on Iraq/Afghanistan/terrorism :? could be worst i guess, i once used to spent months on Gorean books :silent:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Pelo reads fast than his own Shadow. And heavy stuff too.

Oh, btw... just finished part one of that Brandon Sanderson's latest trilogy (well, I am guessing it will be a 3 book series, not sure) and I liked it a lot. Slower pace than the final empire stuff, but very nicely detailed, taking his time more. Definately recommended to those who like Robin Hobb/Game of Thrones sort of books. Second book should be in the mail already.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:10 am

Having no tv at home helps :mrgreen: but the tragedy is that im reading much slower than im adding new books in my reading list. Soooo how's this book of yours called? The Way of Kings?
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:21 am

Yep. The Amazon.co.uk version looks nicer, though, having drawings and everything, but... it was kind of heavy on the arms. I like it when books have a lot of pages, but... you can overdo it. :)

And same here: no (live) TV (by choice). I do watch stuff, movies, series, but probably the same way you do. I am quite happy with that. Somehow, if you watch live TV, you end up seeing so much utter crap.
Pelopidas

Postby Pelopidas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:16 pm

Got it, reading it, Kaladin is depressing me :mrgreen:

Looks good, read at amazon.com though that the whole saga will have 10 books. How fast does he write? And how good can the saga be if he writes too fast? Let's say, he writes a book every two years, ill be 52 when the story ends? :thumbdown:
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:44 pm

Pelopidas wrote:Got it, reading it, Kaladin is depressing me :mrgreen:

Looks good, read at amazon.com though that the whole saga will have 10 books. How fast does he write? And how good can the saga be if he writes too fast? Let's say, he writes a book every two years, ill be 52 when the story ends? :thumbdown:

Yeah, that is a bit of a concern. I liked the book well enough to order what I thought was part 2. Turns out, it was also published in 2 parts, and so now I got the second part of the book I already read. :facepalm:

Well, at least, it is more easy to lift...

And yes, Kaladin is a bit on the emo side. But I still think it is a very well written book, and a compelling world. But yes... if this is going to be his game of thrones... it may take a while before we get to read it all. Maybe there is some truth to what a character in a Murakami book says (have to read SOMETHING, so turned to him): only read fiction by authors that are dead and you won't be dissappointed. :D
Glaucon

Postby Glaucon » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:14 pm

Oh, this is what Sanderson has to say about it:

•Stormlight Archive Book Two (Late 2012 or early 2013.)
•Stormlight Archive Book Three (One year after Book Two.)

And stuff he is planning beyond that:

•The Silence Divine (Shardworld novel, standalone.)
•White Sand (Shardworld trilogy.)
•The Liar of Partinel (Shardworld novel, one of two.)
•Dragonsteel (Major Shardworld epic. Won't be written until Stormlight is done.)

That, in addition to More Mistborn books and trilogies, a grand Wheel of Time finale, and a host of other projects... I guess this guy is a true para-RPer. :D

Return to “Movies/Books/Art/TV Etc.”