Mat
SL Name: Mat
Caste: Warrior
Role: Defender of Freedom

Re: Iphone5?

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:20 pm

Glaucon wrote:
THE GTE 199 is OUT

So, what do you all think of the new GTE 199f series?

Personally, I have no strong opinion about it, though it seems cool. If only Obama had not taxed away all my savings and had not given me a dead economy and a pile of debt in return, while killing America, I might have rushed to the store and bought one!

:teehee:

And here I was thinking you were actually offering a suggestion on phones.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Margaux
SL Name: Margaux Levenque
Role: Pillow Fluffer

Postby Margaux » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:13 pm

Not sure if it's because Steve Jobs is no longer around but if the unveiling of the new iPhone is set for tomorrow, shouldn't there be some sort of a teaser by now? I've been watching out for one but so far.. nada.

Tim Cook, what gives???
"Sluttery is like riding a bicycle. You learn it once and you never, ever forget".
Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:15 pm

Tell me about it. I am hopping that there will be something really good in the details tomorrow but I am not holding my breath at this point.
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not want merely because you think it would be good for him
Tantus
SL Name: Inactive
Caste: Scribe

Postby Tantus » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:09 am

I'm just glad in the EU we still have a choice between Apple and Samsung.

Most of the world's courts have rejected Apple's attempt to patent a rectangle, except in the US, where consumers will suffer for long years to come.

Edit: An extract from a severely critical viewpoint, posted by the BBC:
Dan Lyons - BBC wrote:The hardware on the iPhone has been the same for two years, since the iPhone 4 and 4S were virtually identical.

Now, having had two years to plot and scheme, Apple's renowned designer Jonathan Ive has replaced the tiny 3.5in (8.9cm) screen with a slightly-less-tiny 4in (10.2cm) screen? Wow. Knock me over with a feather. What do you do with the rest of your time, Jony?

This is what happens when a company is too cheap to invest in research and development. Did you know that Apple spends far less on R&D than any of its rivals - a paltry 2% of revenues, versus 14% for Google and Microsoft?

No wonder the Android platform, where new models appear every week, now represents 68% of the smartphone market, up from 47% a year ago, while Apple slid to 17% over the same period.

In case you're bad at maths, let me work that out for you: Android's market share is now four times that of Apple. Four times!

Worse, despite all its bluster about innovation, Apple has become a copycat, and not even a good one. Why is Apple making the iPhone bigger? To keep up with the top Android phones.

A company that once was run by a product visionary now is run by a number-cruncher - chief executive Tim Cook, whose claim to fame involves running an efficient supply chain and beating ever lower prices out of Asian subcontractors and component suppliers.

To use a car analogy, six years ago the iPhone was like a sexy new flagship model from BMW or Porsche. Today it's a Toyota Camry. Safe, reliable, boring. The car your mom drives. The car that's so popular that its maker doesn't dare mess with the formula.

Apple seems less interested in blowing people away than it is in milking profit out of the existing lineup. At this Cook is doing marvellously well.

Sales are booming and will top $150bn this year, with net profit margins of nearly 30%. That's incredible in any business, but qualifies as a miracle when you're selling consumer electronics hardware.

Apple has more than $100bn in cash. Its market value of $632bn makes it the biggest company in the world, bigger than any company in US history.

That's great for Apple's shareholders. But for customers, who cares? In terms of products, Apple has become the one thing it should never be. Apple has become boring.

Somewhere up there, I can hear Steve screaming.
Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:42 am

You can still get the Samsung phones in the US at least for now.
iJudas

Postby iJudas » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:23 pm

I'm going Android next time around. I've had my iphone 4 for nearly two years and the contract is due. Why make the switch?
I was always Android but got 'bewitched' by Apple marketing. I've never been 100% happy with my iPhone and always believed it lacked 'something'. I still can't put my finger on it.

And I don't want to give the cheating bastards any more of my money.
Mat

Postby Mat » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm

I am getting tired of Apples presentations how hard would it be to stream the shit live rather than have constant reports of the event.
TreatRothschild
SL Name: I'm Treat Dammit!
Role: Magistrate and Love Cthulhu
Home Stone: Hesius

Postby TreatRothschild » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Replacing my Blackberry with an Android. I won't buy an Apple iPad or iPhone, there are alternatives. I may still buy iPods, though hard to beat them.
Let me give you some advice bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you.
Resolver Bouchard

Postby Resolver Bouchard » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm happy with my Iphone 4, for what I use it for, web, email, music, as a phone and the battery is only down 20% after a typical day, I don't see much point in spending $100s upgrading.

For the same reason( and all my music is in itunes) I don't see any point in going for an android phone. $100s of dollars for an irritatingly large screen and 3 extra cores that do nothing.
Sempati
SL Name: Revenge Sempati
Role: Dirty old man
Home Stone: Old Cardonicus

Postby Sempati » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Don't worry, the updated iPhone 5s will be out in time for Christmas.
“I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.”
“For it is easy to criticize and break down the spirit of others, but to know yourself takes a lifetime.”
Bruce Lee

Return to “News”